Sitemaps Are Absolutely Necessary
In order to tell the search engines how to spider your site (if you care about your rankings) you need to have a sitemap on your website. If your site is a WordPress site,this is a very easy thing to take care of. Just add a plugin that takes care of it automatically. There are lots of good ones. Do the "Add New" plugin search and find any of the many that has the most stars and load it.
Below you will find a short "primer" on sitemaps. This is easy,so just do this for your website. You will like the added push it gives.
Sitemap is a file (or multiple files) that list URLs for a site.
- It is important to submit your sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools
- It is important to include a link to sitemap file in your robots.txt file
- If you want to put sitemap on different domain you must put a link to it in your robots.txt file
- All information about sitemaps — http://www.sitemaps.org/
- You can also submit your sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools
- If you don't have a sitemap,try sitemap generators
Robots.txt is a file on your site that tells web spiders (like Googlebot) how to behave on your site.
- Robots.txt should contain a link to your sitemap (for example:Sitemap:http:///sitemap.xml)
- All information about robots.txt — http://www.robotstxt.org/
Meta robots tag
Meta robots tag is a special HTML tag that tells robots how to behave on that page.
- Use meta robots tag if you want to prevent search engines from indexing the page.
- More information about meta robots tag — http://www.robotstxt.org/meta.html